Counselors and Educators
We partner with high school counselors and educators as they prepare students for college.
We want to make sure you have the information and tools you need as you guide your students in making one of the most important decisions in their academic career.
TIPS AND INSIGHTS RIGHT IN YOUR INBOX
Sign up for our mailing list to stay informed about upcoming deadlines, workshop offerings, application tips for your students, and admissions events they might be interested in.
College Planning Guide
Is your student looking for a good place to start the college process? Send them this guide.
Hopkins at a Glance
Take a look at our undergraduate snapshot and incoming first-year class data to get a sense of who we are and who might be a good match for our community.
We collaborate with schools and districts on educational programming for students, families, and school administrators. Our staff is trained to lead workshops on the following topics:
- Counselor Letter of Recommendation Workshop (for high school counselors, teachers, and staff)
- Admissions 101
- College Search and Application Workshop
- Telling Your Story
- Personal Statement Workshop
- Supplemental Essay Workshop
For more information or to request a session, email firstname.lastname@example.org. While we may not be able to immediately accommodate all requests given staff availability, we are happy to work with you.
Join a Virtual Information Session
Hosted by a member of our admissions committee and a current student, we’ll provide an overview of everything you need to know about Hopkins, from academics and student life to the admissions process.SEE DATES & REGISTER
Visit Us at Homewood
Join our admissions sessions and guided tours to learn more about Hopkins and the application process.SEE DATES & REGISTER
Wednesday at Hopkins
Ahead of this year’s NACAC Conference in Baltimore, we invite you to attend a special day of counselor-specific programming where you can get an inside look at both the Hopkins student experience and admissions process.LEARN MORE
Supporting Your Students in the Application Process
Before the Application
- Encourage students to attend an event to learn more about Hopkins and determine if it’s a community they’d like to join.
Parents, guardians, and other members of your student’s support system (including yourself) are welcome to attend our workshops and events.
- Know the application deadlines. We officially announce them on August 1 of each year.
- Early Decision I: November 1, 2023
- Early Decision II: January 2, 2024
- Regular Decision: January 2, 2024
- Get familiar with our application process and requirements.
- Help your student decide when to apply.
- We offer three decision plans—Early Decision I, Early Decision II, and Regular Decision. If you work with students whose first-choice college is Hopkins, here’s what they’ll need to know about applying Early Decision I or II.
Submitting the Application
The application is your student’s chance to show us who they’ll be in our community. We want to know what motivates them, what they’re interested in inside and outside the classroom, and what kind of impact they’ve had within their own families and community.
We offer multiple resources to help you and your students understand what we look for so they can submit their strongest application.
Letter of Recommendation: Written by counselors and educators
- Letter of Recommendation workshops: Tips on how to maximize the effectiveness of the school profile and what admissions counselors expect to learn from the recommendation.
- Counselor Brag Sheet and Teacher Brag Sheet: What to ask students to provide you prior to writing them a letter.
- Tips and Takeaways: What our office looks for while reading letters of recommendation.
If you are sending application materials directly to us, such as the school profile and letter of recommendation, please email them to email@example.com. Make sure you include the student’s name, high school, and application ID number.
Personal Statement and Supplemental Essay: Written by students
- Essays That Worked: a collection of essays from admitted Hopkins students and feedback from our admissions committee on why they were successful.
- Application workshops:
- Telling Your Story: Learn how to use your experiences and passions to tell an authentic and cohesive story of who you through the holistic admissions process.
- Personal Statement: Analyzing and comparing example personal statement excerpts, admissions counselors will provide an inside view on the role of the essay within the college application and tips on how to start writing or improve on your first draft.
- Supplemental Essay: Analyze and compare Hopkins supplemental essay excerpts to understand the role of the supplemental essay and how to strengthen your own writing in the college process.
After the Application
After your student submits their materials, we’ll send you an email if there are any missing documents.
Students can view their application checklist on their applicant portal. They’ll also receive their admissions decision through the same portal on the following dates:
- Early Decision I: December 15, 2023
- Early Decision II: February 16, 2024
- Regular Decision: March 20, 2024
Their applicant portal will include information about financial aid and any merit scholarships. We are not able to release decisions over the phone.
INFORMATION FOR SPECIFIC POPULATIONS
We understand that each student has a different set of questions about the application process. We have resources and helpful answers to help them through the process.
– International Students
– First-Generation Students
– Students with DACA or Undocumented status
– Military Veterans
– Prospective Athletes