Visiting Students

Johns Hopkins University has established reciprocal exchange agreements with universities throughout the world.

Overview of the Undergraduate Visiting Student Program

Visiting students are students who are currently enrolled in high school or as undergraduates at a college or university other than Johns Hopkins and are interested in taking one or more courses at Hopkins on a temporary basis during the fall or spring semester. The admissions process for visiting students at Johns Hopkins is selective and admissions standards are comparable to those for traditional, degree-seeking students.

Visiting students may take up to 9 credits per semester and may study for no more than two semesters at Johns Hopkins. Visiting students are assigned an academic adviser but are not eligible for other student services (counseling services, health services, recreation services, housing, etc.). Please check for any registration restrictions for visiting students; for example, visiting students are not permitted to take the following courses: General Biology I and II, Introductory Chemistry I and II, Organic Chemistry I and II, Calculus I and II for Biological and Social Science, Bioethics, Introduction to Cognitive Psychology, Biostatistics, Statistical Analysis I and II.

Visiting undergraduate students: Take advantage of the opportunity to discover Hopkins and Baltimore! Take classes for credit through our Summer Term and Mini-Term programs.

Application Process

Application deadlines:

  • Fall semester: July 1
  • Spring semester: December 1

Visiting student applicants must submit:

  • Completed and signed Visiting Student Application and JHU Undergraduate Waiver.
  • $70 non-refundable application fee.
  • Official transcripts of all college and university study. High school student applicants should submit an official high school transcript.
  • A letter of recommendation from a professor (for college applicants) or from a teacher (for high school applicants).
  • A letter of recommendation from the Dean of Students, Academic Dean or other college official attesting that the student is in good academic standing at their home institution (for college applicants) or a letter of recommendation from a guidance counselor attesting that the student is in good academic standing at their high school (for high school students).
  • A statement of purpose. In approximately 250 words, the applicant should detail why they are interested in being a visiting student at Johns Hopkins University.
  • Though not required, TOEFL, IELTS, or the Duolingo English Test (DET) are recommended for applicants whose primary language is not English or students who have not attended an English language school for the last three years or who score below 690 on the Evidence-Based Reading and Writing (ERW) section of the new SAT or below 30 or more on both the ACT Reading and English sections. Johns Hopkins prefers a score of 600 on the written test. The preferred sub-scores for the Internet-based TOEFL (iBT) are 26 (Reading), 26 (Listening), 22 (Writing), and 25 (Speaking).
  • International students should apply for J-1 student sponsorship unless they currently maintain a visa status that allows for study. Use of a B-1/B-2 visitor visa or the visa waiver program is not appropriate for visiting student activity at JHU. A request for J-1 sponsorship must be initiated by the JHU department that has invited the student. Please visit the OIS website for details regarding J-1 sponsorship requirements.

The completed visiting student application and statement of purpose should be emailed to Application fee, transcripts, and letters of recommendation should be mailed to: Visiting Student Coordinator Office of Undergraduate Admissions Mason Hall/3400 N. Charles Street Baltimore, MD 21218 The Undergraduate Admissions Office evaluates visiting student applications on a rolling basis and notifications of approval to enroll as a visiting student are sent via email. Applicants who are approved for enrollment register for coursework approximately one week before the start of classes. The emailed approval of enrollment will provide instructions for meeting with the academic adviser and registering for coursework.

Program Details

Tuition Costs

Visiting students attending Johns Hopkins during the 2018-2019 academic year will be charged $1,791 per undergraduate credit hour. Financial aid is not available for visiting students. Learn more about forms of payment accepted on the Office of Student Accounts site.

Enrollment Requirements

Approved visiting students must submit the following documents:

  • Proof of Health Insurance: Proof of health insurance must be remitted to the Office of the Registrar’s Insurance Coordinator, located in Garland Hall. Any student without health insurance will be instructed to purchase student health insurance available through the university.
  • Pre-Entrance Health Requirements: Visiting students must complete official health and immunization forms. Instructions for completing the forms can be found by visiting the Health and Wellness Center site.

Visiting Researchers

Academic departments at Johns Hopkins invite high school students and undergraduates from institutions other than Johns Hopkins to conduct research on the Homewood campus throughout the academic year and summer. Students who have been invited to conduct research should submit the Visiting Student Application with the “office use only” portion filled out by someone in the department in which they will be conducting research. The completed application should be emailed, along with a copy of the researcher’s letter of invitation, to Once the Undergraduate Admissions Office has verified the researcher’s application and letter of invitation, the visiting student coordinator will email the visiting researcher with instructions on registering for the research practicum at Johns Hopkins. Please note: Research conducted as a visiting student researcher does not count as Johns Hopkins University credit.


If you have questions about the high school or undergraduate visiting student program at Johns Hopkins, please direct them to

Exchange Students

Faculty and graduate students attending Hopkins under the terms of exchange agreements should contact their sponsoring department at Johns Hopkins. Undergraduates who wish to attend Hopkins under the terms of exchange agreements should complete the following steps:

  1. Contact the Office of International Student Mobility at your home institution.

    All undergraduate exchange students must be nominated by their home institutions. Nominations to Hopkins must be made by the Office of International Student Mobility or the equivalent at your home university.

  2. Official nominations should be sent by your Office of International Student Mobility to the attention of the Director of Study Abroad at Johns Hopkins.

    Dr. Lori Citti, Director of Study Abroad, Levering Annex 04B, 3400 N. Charles St., Baltimore, MD, 21218. Email: Phone: (410) 516-6760.

  3. Upon receipt of your official nomination, the Office of Study Abroad will forward your request to the appropriate departments and faculty at Hopkins.

    If your nomination is confirmed, you will receive a packet of information from Johns Hopkins asking you to complete the Visiting Student Application and supplemental documentation for J-1 visa.

  4. In order to expedite your admission as a visiting exchange student, please return your complete Visiting Student Application and supplemental documents to the Office of Study Abroad.

    The Office of Study Abroad will coordinate your application with the Office of Admissions and the Office of International Student and Scholar Services.

Official nominations should include:

  • An official letter of nomination from your home university
  • A brief statement of your interest in studying at Hopkins, the term and duration of your exchange, and the department in which you will take the majority of your academic courses
  • A list of courses and alternates you would like to take while at Johns Hopkins
  • An official transcript from your home university

For additional information, please contact Dr. Lori Citti, Director of Study Abroad, at or (410) 516-6760.