Office of Undergraduate Admissions
Mason Hall / 3400 N. Charles St.
Baltimore, MD 21218 USA
Tel. +1 410 516 8171
Fax +1 410 516 6025
GPS address for Mason Hall
3101 Wyman Park Dr.
Baltimore, MD 21211 USA
facebook: jhu.admissions instagram: hopkinsinsider YouTube: Hopkins Video Blog twitter: JHU_Admissions
Financial Aid
Contact Us

How to Apply for Aid

Hopkins is dedicated to helping each admitted family review and evaluate their option—read more about our commitment to financial aid here.

See all deadlines for applying for financial aid at Hopkins.

We’re also here to make applying for aid as simple as possible. Review the chart below for details on what you need to submit and when we need receive it. Our financial aid advisers are available if you have any questions or need guidance throughout the process.

Who should apply for aid: Any applicant who feels their family may need assistance should apply for financial aid. Even if you’re unsure but think you might need financial help, we encourage you to apply for financial aid.

Things to keep in mind:

  • It’s better to apply at the start of the process then decide later that you may need help, as the financial aid deadlines will pass before decisions are released.
  • Many factors go into determining financial aid awards.

Your financial aid application is considered independently of your application for admission. Apply for financial aid to be considered for need-based grants, loans, or work opportunities. You do not need to apply for financial aid to be considered for Johns Hopkins’ merit-based scholarships only; merit scholarships are awarded to selected students upon admission.

Our financial aid counselors are here to help throughout the application process and, if admitted, to help your family think through options.

Deadlines: It’s crucial to stick to the deadlines listed below. Admitted students will receive a financial aid award notice with their official admissions notification.

International applicants: Students who are not currently U.S. citizens or permanent residents have additional application requirements. Please see How to Apply for International Students for more information.

Documents & Deadlines

ED: Early Decision
RD: Regular Decision
TR: Transfer

All students

Additional documents are required for students from divorced or separated families, families who own a business or farm, or students whose citizenship status is listed as permanent resident.

CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE
Complete online; JHU School Code is 5332.
11/15 2/1 4/1
Signed copies of 2015 Federal Income Tax Returns (1040, 1040A or 1040EZ) including all schedules and W-2 forms
Upload to IDOC
11/15 2/1 4/1
FAFSA (US students only)
Complete online; JHU School Code is E00473. (Can be filed after October 1 and is used to determine eligibility for federal, state, and Hopkins aid programs.)
11/15 2/1 4/1

Additional requirements for some applicants

Divorced or separated families only
CSS Noncustodial PROFILE
Complete online; JHU School Code is 5332. (May complete only after student registers for CSS PROFILE.)
11/15 2/1 4/1
Signed copies of noncustodial parent's 2015 Federal Income Tax Return, including all schedules and W-2 forms
Mail to IDOC
11/15 2/1 4/1
Families who own a business or farm only
Copies of 2015 Business Income Tax Returns (IRS forms 1120, 1120S, 1065, Schedule K-1, and addendums)
Mail to: IDOC
or mail or fax copy to:
Johns Hopkins University
Office of Student Financial Services
3400 N Charles St.
146 Garland Hall
Baltimore, MD 21218
Fax: 786-513-2839
11/15 2/1 4/1
Students whose citizenship status is permanent resident only
Permanent Resident (Green) Card
Only required if citizenship status is not confirmed on FAFSA.
Copy and fax to (786) 513-2839 or mail to:
Johns Hopkins University
Office of Student Financial Services
3400 N Charles St.
146 Garland Hall
Baltimore, MD 21218
11/15 2/1 4/1

Application Requirement Details

College Scholarship Service (CSS)/Financial Aid PROFILE

Prospective students applying for financial aid must submit the CSS PROFILE online to be considered for institutional (Hopkins) need-based funding.

Access the PROFILE beginning on October 1. Every student must register on to complete the PROFILE. You will be charged a fee by the College Board to process and report your information to Johns Hopkins. The fee is based on the number of schools you list to receive the data ($9 plus $16 for each school listed).

The College Scholarship Service offers fee waivers to eligible students at the time of registration. Johns Hopkins does not have fee waivers to offer students. Our office will load the PROFILE data electronically if our school code is listed. Johns Hopkins’ CSS PROFILE school code is 5332.

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

The FAFSA is used to determine eligibility for federal, state, and institutional (Hopkins) financial aid. This includes low interest student and parent Federal Direct Loans. Only U.S. Citizens or legal permanent residents should submit the FAFSA. File the FAFSA on the web at You and your parent(s) will need federal PINs. A PIN can be obtained at Allow 7–10 days from the time of your request to receive your PIN. We recommend that all applicants use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) to load tax data into the FAFSA. Johns Hopkins’ FAFSA school code is E00473.

Federal Income Tax Returns

JHU uses the College Board’s Institutional Documentation Service (IDOC) to collect copies of parent and student federal income tax returns and other required documents. You will receive correspondence from the College Board listing all documents required to complete your application and providing instructions for using IDOC.

At a minimum, we require signed copies of both parents’ and student’s prior year (2015 for those applying for the 2017–18 academic year) federal income tax returns, all schedules and attachments and W-2 forms. If a student or parent did not file a federal income tax return, they must submit a non-filing statement and still provide copies of any W-2s they may have received. All required documents must be submitted to IDOC in a single packet with the required IDOC cover sheet. The IDOC website is

Noncustodial Parent Profile

If your parents are separated or divorced, your noncustodial parent must complete the Noncustodial PROFILE online. The noncustodial parent may access the PROFILE online after the student has registered with CSS PROFILE. An email reminder will be sent to the noncustodial parent to complete the requirement once the student has submitted and completed the PROFILE online with the custodial parent. There is a $25 fee to complete this form. The noncustodial parent must also submit to the College Board’s IDOC service a signed copy of his or her federal income tax return and W-2 forms. Noncustodial parent tax information may be submitted in a separate packet to IDOC. We realize that issues of college support may be complicated in divorce and separated families and we evaluate each situation individually. If you believe special circumstances exist in your family, contact your financial aid adviser.

Citizenship Documentation

You must be a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident to apply for federal student financial aid. Any applicant who is not a U.S. citizen or permanent resident by the admission and/or financial aid deadline must apply for admission and for financial aid as an international student. If you do not meet this citizenship criteria by the admission/financial aid deadline, see the instructions for applying as an International Student.

When an applicant completes the FAFSA, the processor matches the student’s name, social security number, and date of birth with the Social Security Administration database (for U.S. citizens) and with the Department of Homeland Security database (for eligible non-citizens). If the match with either database confirms citizenship or permanent resident status, no further documentation is required. However, if the match does not confirm the student’s status, the applicant will be required to provide documentation.

One of the following is required to document U.S. citizenship:

  • A copy of a birth certificate showing that the student was born in the United States
  • A copy of a U.S. passport
  • A State Department document showing birth of a U.S. citizen abroad (FS240, FS545, DS1350)
  • A certificate of citizenship through a U.S. parent (N560, N561)
  • A certificate of naturalization (N550, N570)

One of the following is required to document status as a U.S. permanent resident:

  • A Permanent Resident Card (formerly Resident Alien Card) - I-551 (older version I-151 should have been replaced with I-551 but may be accepted)
  • An I-94 document that has been stamped "processed for I-551" and has an expiration date valid through the academic year