Teacher instructing small class of students
join our community

Welcoming a change of course

Transfer application deadline: March 1, 2020

Looking to continue your education at a place where you have the freedom to explore diverse interests and make a global impact?

Every fall, we welcome new students who transfer to Johns Hopkins from two- and four-year colleges and universities across the United States and around the world. Keep reading to learn specifics about the transfer admissions process and life at Hopkins.

Apply using the Common Application

Join us for a Virtual Transfer Information Session on Sunday, January 26, 2020 to learn about academics, campus life, our hometown of Baltimore, and what it all means to you as a transfer student. Register here!


our mailing list to receive updates about the transfer admissions process.

Hopkins Insider students pose together on campus

Hear from current Hopkins students on their blog.



  1. Application

    Common Application with Personal Statement.

  2. Application Fee

    $70 nonrefundable application fee or waiver. We accept the National Association of College Admissions Counseling (NACAC) Transfer Fee Application Waiver form and this can be emailed to us at applyhelp@jhu.edu. If you do not meet the eligibility criteria and the application fee presents a financial hardship, we will accept an email from a representative from your current institution requesting the fee to be waived.

  3. Transcripts

    Official high school and college transcripts sent directly by the schools that you attended.

  4. Official Report

    College Officials Report available through the Common Application.

  5. Recommendation

    Professor/Instructor Recommendation.

  6. Financial Aid (optional)

    Scholarship assistance is only available for domestic transfer students (see below). Private loans are available for international transfer students. Most of the lenders require a co-signer who is a U.S. citizen. International transfer applicants must document the available funding for their education by submitting the Certification of Finances Form by the application deadline. Without this form, an international transfer application will be considered incomplete and we will be unable to review it for admission.

FAQs- general

FAQs- application

FAQs- international

FAQs- credits

Credit policies

Hopkins credit policies

To be eligible for transfer credit, an approved course must be taken for a grade at an approved college and completed with a grade of C or better. Ungraded or pass/fail courses taken prior to matriculation, if approved, may receive credit if the host school states in writing that the mark represents a grade of C or better. Credit for approved courses taken at a community college (an institution that issues primarily two-year degrees) will be transferred only if taken prior to matriculation at Johns Hopkins. A maximum of 6 credits may be granted for courses which are in curriculum areas not covered by the programs of the Johns Hopkins School of Arts and Sciences and the School of Engineering.

Common courses not accepted for transfer credit:

Physical Education or Personal Health and Wellness Courses

We will transfer a maximum of 6 credits in the fields of nutrition, dietetics, or kinesiology if these courses were part of a curriculum leading to a college degree.

College Orientation, Study Skills, or Career Development Courses

Courses that are in-depth studies of career paths within a field of study may be considered. Psychology courses in career counseling or learning theory may be accepted.

Math Courses Below the Pre-Calculus Level

We do accept most introductory statistics courses. We will accept one course designed to review all necessary background for the study of calculus and to introduce the concept of the rate of change of a function.

Theology Courses

We will consider comparative religion courses or other religion courses that study religion from an academic viewpoint.

Developmental English or English as Second Language

While we do not transfer developmental English composition or ESL courses, we do typically transfer “first-year student composition” courses.

Computer Software Courses

Courses that teach some use of software, Internet design and security, basic programming in HTML or Java, computer aided-design or introduce field-specific software programs may be considered.

Independent Study, Research, or Internship

Hybrid courses that include lectures and graded assignments along with practical experiences are reviewed individually.

Trade Skill Courses

Courses that are part of an educational program leading to a specific trade such as (but not limited to) automotive repair, culinary arts, day care provider, or airplane pilot are not transferable.


Agreements with other institutions

The Whiting School of Engineering participates in a program developed by the State of Maryland to ease the process of transferring into computer and electrical engineering programs as a junior. A student who completes two years of study and is awarded a state approved Associate of Science in Engineering (ASE) degree from a Maryland community college will be evaluated for admission to Hopkins under the standard transfer student process. Admission to Hopkins is competitive and not guaranteed. For students admitted under this program who pursue either a B.S. in Electrical Engineering or a B.S. in Computer Engineering, JHU will accept the ASE as a block of credits to total at least 60 credits. Both the electrical and computer engineering programs at Hopkins have a specific “breadth and depth” requirement as part of the broader humanities/social sciences distribution requirements. Courses taken as part of the ASE will not count towards the “depth” component, as it requires that some coursework be completed at the upper-level.