General guidelines for transfer credit acceptance

Transfer admissions is a holistic review process, so while there are no specific courses required to transfer to Hopkins, the guidelines below will help best prepare you for a successful transition, should you be admitted.

Please note that these are general course sequence pathways and do not replace the formal preliminary credit evaluation that accompanies the transfer admissions application review.

Krieger School of Arts and Sciences

  • Natural Sciences: a math course at least at the calculus I level with introductory and intermediate science with lab in a related field. Junior transfers courses may include additional introductory and intermediate science courses with labs.
  • Social and Behavioral Sciences: a math course in statistics or calculus level, and at least one prior course in a related field.
  • Humanities: at least one prior course in a related field.

Whiting School of Engineering

  • General guidelines for all engineering majors: introductory and intermediate courses in calculus, chemistry, and physics with labs.
  • Junior transfers: advanced courses in higher levels of mathematics, such as calculus III, linear algebra, and/or differential equations. In addition, students should have some major specific courses to demonstrate their readiness in the engineering discipline.

To be eligible for transfer credit, an approved course must be taken for a grade at an approved college and completed with a grade of C or better. Ungraded or pass/fail courses taken prior to matriculation, if approved, may receive credit if the host school states in writing that the mark represents a grade of C or better. Credit for approved courses taken at a community college (an institution that issues primarily two-year degrees) will be transferred only if taken prior to matriculation at Hopkins. A maximum of 6 credits may be granted for courses which are in curriculum areas not covered by the programs of the Johns Hopkins University School of Arts and Sciences and the School of Engineering.

For more detailed course information, we encourage you to visit the undergraduate department websites or the academic catalog entry for the major(s) in which you are interested to see the courses that our students pursue.

Common courses not accepted for transfer credit:

Physical Education or Personal Health and Wellness Courses

We will transfer a maximum of 6 credits in the fields of nutrition, dietetics, or kinesiology if these courses were part of a curriculum leading to a college degree.

College Orientation, Study Skills, or Career Development Courses

Courses that are in-depth studies of career paths within a field of study may be considered. Psychology courses in career counseling or learning theory may be accepted.

Math Courses Below the Pre-Calculus Level

We do accept most introductory statistics courses. We will accept one course designed to review all necessary background for the study of calculus and to introduce the concept of the rate of change of a function.

Theology Courses

We will consider comparative religion courses or other religion courses that study religion from an academic viewpoint.

Developmental English or English as Second Language

While we do not transfer developmental English composition or ESL courses, we do typically transfer “first-year student composition” courses.

Computer Software Courses

Courses that teach some use of software, Internet design and security, basic programming in HTML or Java, computer aided-design or introduce field-specific software programs may be considered.

Independent Study, Research, or Internship

Hybrid courses that include lectures and graded assignments along with practical experiences are reviewed individually.

Trade Skill Courses

Courses that are part of an educational program leading to a specific trade such as (but not limited to) automotive repair, culinary arts, day care provider, or airplane pilot are not transferable.


Agreements with other institutions

The Whiting School of Engineering participates in a program developed by the State of Maryland to ease the process of transferring into computer and electrical engineering programs as a junior. A student who completes two years of study and is awarded a state approved Associate of Science in Engineering (ASE) degree from a Maryland community college will be evaluated for admission to Hopkins under the standard transfer student process. Admission to Hopkins is competitive and not guaranteed. For students admitted under this program who pursue either a B.S. in Electrical Engineering or a B.S. in Computer Engineering, Hopkins will accept the ASE as a block of credits to total at least 60 credits. Both the electrical and computer engineering programs at Hopkins have a specific “breadth and depth” requirement as part of the broader humanities/social sciences distribution requirements. Courses taken as part of the ASE will not count towards the “depth” component, as it requires that some coursework be completed at the upper-level.

FAQ – Transfer Credits