Office of Undergraduate Admissions
Mason Hall / 3400 N. Charles St.
Baltimore, MD 21218 USA
Tel. +1 410 516 8171
Fax +1 410 516 6025
GPS address for Mason Hall
3101 Wyman Park Dr.
Baltimore, MD 21211 USA
facebook: jhu.admissions instagram: hopkinsinsider YouTube: Hopkins Video Blog twitter: JHU_Admissions
Financial Aid
Contact Us

Transfer Students

Transfer Admissions at a Glance

Getting here from there: Eric L. ’15 talks about his transfer student experience.

Transfer application deadline
March 2 at 11:59 p.m. Eastern
Contact e-mail
Mailing list
Join our mailing list to receive updates about the transfer admissions process, events, and university news.


  • Common Application with Johns Hopkins Supplement (including the essay portion of the application and an additional essay on the Supplement)
  • $70 nonrefundable application fee or waiver
  • High school and college transcripts
  • College Official’s Report
  • Professor/Instructor Recommendation
  • International transfer applicants who are applying for financial aid should also submit the International Certification of Finances Form and Bank Statement (for non-US citizens or non-US Permanent Residents). If admitted to the university, international students not applying for financial aid must document the available funding for their education by submitting the Certification of Finances Form and Bank Statement at that time. These students will not be able to enroll in the university without submitting the supplemental materials.

Please note: TOEFL or IELTS test scores are recommended for applicants who have not attended an English language school for the last three years and whose primary language is not English.

Financial Aid (optional):

  • 4/1: Prospective transfer students applying for financial aid must submit the CSS PROFILE online to be considered for institutional (Hopkins) need-based funding.
  • 4/1: The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is used to determine eligibility for federal, state, and institutional (Hopkins) financial aid. This includes low interest Federal Direct Loans for students and parents. Only U.S. citizens or legal permanent residents should submit the FAFSA.
  • 4/1: 2015 year tax return

General Questions

Who can transfer to Johns Hopkins?
Johns Hopkins welcomes transfer students from two- and four-year colleges and universities into the sophomore and junior classes in the fall semester only. Johns Hopkins University does not accept transfers for the spring, summer, or winter semesters. Transfer admission at Hopkins is not available for students who have already completed an undergraduate degree or equivalent from another institution.
How does the transfer selection process work?
Applications for transfer admission are accepted for fall admission only. The final deadline for submitting a transfer application is March 3. In selecting transfer students, the application committee considers a student’s high school record, college GPA and program of study, extracurricular activities, recommendations, and essay responses. We also consider what each student plans to bring to the Johns Hopkins community, and why he or she would like to transfer here. Please note that while you may choose to submit standardized test scores, they are not a required piece of the transfer admission process. All admissions decisions will be released by mid-May.
What about interviews?
Due to application volume, interviews are not available for transfer applicants. However, we encourage you to explore Hopkins Interactive or e-mail with any questions you might have about Johns Hopkins.
How many credit hours are necessary to transfer to Johns Hopkins?
To transfer to Hopkins, applicants must have graduated high school and have completed more than 12 semester based credits (either matriculated or not). Students who have graduated from high school and enrolled in college but do not have more than 12 credits should apply as freshmen. To receive a bachelor’s degree from Johns Hopkins, a student must carry a full-time academic load at Johns Hopkins for at least four consecutive semesters, not including summer sessions, and must accumulate a minimum of 60 degree credits at Johns Hopkins.
What if I am a high school student currently in a dual-enrollment program?
High school students currently in a dual-enrollment program should apply as first-year students.
What courses do I need to take to transfer to Johns Hopkins?
There are no required courses that students need to take to be eligible for transfer admission to Johns Hopkins. We are not able to provide advising about course selection for potential applicants. For academic guidance and course selection, it is important to work closely with the faculty and staff at your current institution.
How long will it take me to complete my degree at Johns Hopkins?
Degree completion will vary for each individual based on previous major sequencing and readiness for Johns Hopkins programs. Admitted students will get a preliminary credit assessment on their decision release site, which will include an estimated time for completion. A more in depth credit assessment will be conducted by an academic adviser after enrollment.
To receive a bachelor’s degree from Johns Hopkins, a student must carry a full-time academic load at Johns Hopkins for at least four consecutive semesters, not including summer sessions, and must accumulate a minimum of 60 degree credits at Johns Hopkins.
What if I want to be pre-health or pre-law?
We strongly recommend that junior transfer students wait to apply to health profession schools until after completing their senior year at Johns Hopkins. Pre-law applicants generally apply to law school either during the fall of their senior year or choose to work and then apply at a later date. Once you matriculate, you should schedule an appointment with a pre-professional adviser to discuss your individual situation. For more information about being pre-health or pre-law at Johns Hopkins University, please visit Office of Pre-Professional Programs & Advising. Prospective pre-health transfers should download the Guide for Pre-Health students.
What if I already have a bachelor’s degree?
Individuals already holding a bachelor’s degree are not eligible for admission to Johns Hopkins University as first-year or transfer students. For graduate degree information, visit Graduate Studies.
What percentage of transfer applicants are accepted each year?
The exact percentage will vary from year to year. In recent years, the transfer acceptance rate has been about 10 percent.
What are my chances for transfer admission?
Transfer admission to Johns Hopkins is highly competitive and based on space availability and other factors. A minimum 3.0 cumulative grade point average is required; however, just as is the case for first-year applicants, transfer applicants are evaluated on a holistic set of criteria, including academic success, academic engagement, and ability to contribute to campus life.

Transfer Application

What are the application requirements?
See the top of this page for a complete list of requirements and deadlines. Transfer students must apply using the Common Application and the Johns Hopkins Supplement to the Common Application. SAT Reasoning Test or ACT scores are optional for transfer applicants.
I have previously applied to Johns Hopkins, do I need to send all new information?
With the exception of official ACT/SAT scores, you must resubmit all new application materials.
Can a teaching assistant be used in place of a faculty member to write the letter(s) of recommendation?
While the Office of Undergraduate Admissions prefers letters of recommendations to come from faculty members, you may also submit a letter of recommendation from a teaching assistant. Letters of recommendation from a teaching assistant should only be provided if he or she had the primary responsibility of evaluating your performance in a particular class.
What type of financial assistance is available for transfer students?
US citizens, permanent residents, or other eligible noncitizen transfer applicants may apply for financial assistance. Learn more about the financial aid process through the Office of Student Financial Services.

International Transfer Students

What are the requirements for international transfer students?
TOEFL or IELTS are recommended for applicants whose primary language is not English or students who have not attended an English language school for the last three years.
Though not required, applicants who score below 690 on the Evidence-Based Reading and Writing (ERW) section of the new SAT or below 30 or more on both the ACT Reading and English sections are encouraged to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores, as it will often present them in the best light for their language preparation.
The preferred sub-scores for the Internet-based TOEFL (iBT) are 26 (Reading), 26 (Listening), 22 (Writing), and 25 (Speaking). A score of 7.0 or higher on each band is expected on IELTS.
All international applicants must complete the International Student Certification of Finances form. To submit the form, download the form, print it out, complete it, and mail it to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. This form is required for an international student’s transfer application and therefore must be submitted by the application deadline. Without this form, an international transfer application will be considered incomplete and we will be unable to review it for admission.

After You’ve Been Accepted

How will the credits I have earned at my current school be evaluated?
Credit evaluations are performed by the Office of Academic Advising (Arts & Sciences) or the Office of Academic Affairs (Engineering). Admitted students will get a preliminary credit assessment on their decision release site. To receive credit for courses, students must have earned a grade of C or above in courses comparable in content to those offered at Johns Hopkins. Only courses taken at an accredited college or university are accepted. An academic adviser will finalize credit evaluations for admitted students after they have officially accepted their spot at the university.
Where would I live?
Entering transfer students who have completed one to three semesters of college are guaranteed and required to live in university housing for one year. Visit the Housing website for more information about university housing and living on campus.
Transfer students who have completed two years of college (four semesters) have satisfied their Hopkins residency requirement and will work with the Off-Campus Housing Office to obtain housing.

Transferring Credits

The basics: If you were accepted as a transfer student, you may assume that at least part of your previously completed college work is eligible to be transferred. We accept credit from many two-year and four-year institutions issuing associate and bachelor’s degrees in the liberal arts, natural and physical sciences, mathematics, and engineering, subject to review of each individual course.

Click here for more detailed information about university credit policies.

To be eligible for transfer credit, an approved course must be taken for a grade at an approved college and completed with a grade of C or better. Ungraded or pass/fail courses taken prior to matriculation, if approved, may receive credit if the host school states in writing that the mark represents a grade of C or better. Credit for approved courses taken at a community college (an institution that issues primarily two-year degrees) will be transferred only if taken prior to matriculation at Johns Hopkins. A maximum of 6 credits may be granted for courses which are in curriculum areas not covered by the programs of the Johns Hopkins School of Arts and Sciences and the School of Engineering.

Do my courses have to match a course taught at Johns Hopkins?
Courses do not have to match a currently existing Hopkins course; however, courses should cover topics that are broadly defined as part of the curriculum at Hopkins. For example, we do not regularly teach a course about science fiction films. But since this is a film studies course and since we have a major in film and media studies, it’s likely that this course would be eligible for transfer.
Who determines if my credits are transferrable?
The professional advisers in the appropriate Johns Hopkins advising office, in conjunction with faculty, determine which courses are eligible for transfer credit toward the number of credits required for graduation.
How many credits can I transfer?
Transfer students are required to complete 60 credits at Johns Hopkins. Arts and Sciences transfer students are allowed to initially transfer up to 60 credits. Engineering transfer students are allowed to initially transfer a higher number if necessary.
Can I transfer more credits later?
After beginning their studies at Hopkins, students may transfer up to an additional 12 credits (following the same guidelines as if they had matriculated as a first-year student). Please note, however, the student must still complete 60 credits at Johns Hopkins University.
When will I receive an evaluation of my transferrable credits?
Admitted students will receive a preliminary credit assessment with their offer of admission. Once they officially accept their spot in the class and enroll, students will be required to submit course descriptions and, in some cases, syllabi, to the appropriate advising office to begin the official credit evaluation.
Will I receive credits for AP/IB/A-Level tests?
If you have an official score report sent directly from the College Board or other agency, we will award you credit for the exam scores we accept. You can find out more about this on the AP/IB/Other Credit Information page.
Can writing-intensive courses transfer?
As part of the transfer evaluation process, students will be counseled about the process for transferring writing-intensive courses.

Common courses that will not be accepted for transfer credit:

Physical Education or Personal Health and Wellness Courses
We will transfer a maximum of 6 credits in the fields of nutrition, dietetics, or kinesiology if these courses were part of a curriculum leading to a college degree.
College Orientation, Study Skills, or Career Development Courses
Courses that are in-depth studies of career paths within a field of study may be considered. Psychology courses in career counseling or learning theory may be accepted.
Math Courses Below the Pre-Calculus Level
We do accept most introductory statistics courses. We will accept one course designed to review all necessary background for the study of calculus and to introduce the concept of the rate of change of a function.
Theology Courses
We will consider comparative religion courses or other religion courses that study religion from an academic viewpoint.
Developmental English or English as Second Language
While we do not transfer developmental English composition or ESL courses, we do typically transfer "first-year student composition" courses.
Computer Software Courses
Courses that teach some use of software, Internet design and security, basic programming in HTML or Java, computer aided-design or introduce field-specific software programs may be considered.
Independent Study, Research, or Internship
Hybrid courses that include lectures and graded assignments along with practical experiences are reviewed individually.
Trade Skill Courses
Courses that are part of an educational program leading to a specific trade such as (but not limited to) automotive repair, culinary arts, day care provider, or airplane pilot are not transferrable.

Agreements with Other Institutions

The Whiting School of Engineering participates in a program developed by the State of Maryland to ease the process of transferring into computer and electrical engineering programs as a junior. A student who completes two years of study and is awarded a state approved Associate of Science in Engineering (ASE) degree from a Maryland community college will be evaluated for admission to Hopkins under the standard transfer student process. Admission to Hopkins is competitive and not guaranteed. For students admitted under this program who pursue either a B.S. in Electrical Engineering or a B.S. in Computer Engineering, JHU will accept the ASE as a block of credits to total at least 60 credits. Both the electrical and computer engineering programs at Hopkins have a specific “breadth and depth” requirement as part of the broader humanities/social sciences distribution requirements. Courses taken as part of the ASE will not count towards the “depth” component, as it requires that some coursework be completed at the upper-level.

Clery Notice of Availability