Office of Undergraduate Admissions
Mason Hall / 3400 N. Charles St.
Baltimore, MD 21218 USA
Tel. +1 410 516 8171
Fax +1 410 516 6025
GPS address for Mason Hall
3101 Wyman Park Dr.
Baltimore, MD 21211 USA
facebook: jhu.admissions instagram: hopkinsinsider YouTube: Hopkins Video Blog twitter: JHU_Admissions
Financial Aid
Contact Us

International Students at Hopkins

Our international community

Resources for International Students at Johns Hopkins

With over 460 international students representing 61 countries, Hopkins is a place that values diversity of backgrounds, thoughts, and beliefs. We’re here to connect international students with the resources they need to become active, engaged members of the community.

Learn more about life at Hopkins:

General questions

How long is the undergraduate program?
The course of study typically takes four years but sometimes less, depending on your individual curriculum and credit you might receive for high school course work.
How does Johns Hopkins define international applicants?
You are considered an international applicant if you are not a US citizen or permanent resident (Green Card holder). If you are a citizen of another country (and not a US permanent resident) and attend secondary school in the US, you are also considered an international applicant.
What are your intake dates?
Johns Hopkins enrolls both first-year and transfer students during August of each year.
What kind of credit is available for IB, AP, and CIE/A-Level courses?
See AP/IB/Other Credit Information for a detailed listing. Please see the CIE website for more information about Cambridge International Examinations, including International A-Levels and Cambridge Pre-U.
Is there a special Orientation program for international students?
Yes. See the Office of International Student and Scholar Services website to learn more.

Applying to Johns Hopkins

What are the application requirements?
See deadlines and requirements for a complete list.
Do international applicants have different requirements than US applicants?
International students who are applying for financial aid must submit the International Student Certification of Finances form including the Bank Verification with their application. International students must print out, complete, and submit this form via email to or mail to the following address:
Application Coordinator
Office of Undergraduate Admissions
Johns Hopkins University
Mason Hall / 3400 N. Charles St.
Baltimore, MD 21218
International students who are not applying for financial aid do not need to submit the COF and Bank Statement unless they are admitted to the university. If admitted to the university, these students must promptly submit the Certification of Finances Form and Bank Statement. These students will not be able to enroll in the university without the submission and acceptance of these supplemental materials.
What about school documentation and standardized test requirements?
You must submit an official record of academic performance for the equivalent of 9th, 10th, and 11th grades under the US system. All official documents must be accompanied by a verified English translation if the original document is not in English.
Include any certificates, diplomas, or examination results marking the completion of secondary education or preparation for higher education (i.e., O- or A-level or IB exam results). If you have exam results to send and are given only one official copy, you must send attested photocopies of the results to us. Your school official or guidance counselor can attest the copies. Notarized copies are not acceptable.
See Standardized Test Information to view a complete list of SAT and ACT requirements.
TOEFL or IELTS are recommended for applicants whose primary language is not English or students who have not attended an English language school for the last three years.
Though not required, applicants who score below 690 on the Evidence-Based Reading and Writing (ERW) section of the new SAT or below 30 or more on both the ACT Reading and English sections are encouraged to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores, as it will often present them in the best light for their language preparation.
Johns Hopkins prefers a score of 600 on the written test. The preferred sub-scores for the Internet-based TOEFL (iBT) are 26 (Reading), 26 (Listening), 22 (Writing), and 25 (Speaking).
Test results must be sent to us directly from the testing agency. We cannot accept photocopies of test scores.

Financial Aid for International Students

Is financial assistance available for international students?
Both need- and merit-based financial assistance is available for international applicants, although both types of assistance are limited. The admissions process for international students is need-aware, meaning the offer of admission is directly linked to the student’s ability to meet expenses. For more information, visit Office of Student Financial Services.
How do international students apply for financial aid?
International applicants are instructed to use the College Scholarship Service PROFILE form to apply for need-based financial aid.
The deadline to apply for financial aid is 11/15 for Early Decision. The Regular Decision deadline is 2/1. Late applications will not be considered. For more information, review the international student financial aid page on the Office of Student Financial Services website.
Can I work while a student at Johns Hopkins?
You may apply for an on-campus job, but you will be limited to working a maximum of 20 hours per week.

Other Resources

Where can I get more information about studying in the United States?
Visit the EducationUSA website to learn more about studying in the US as a foreign student.
Whom can I contact with specific questions related to international admission?
Please visit the Meet the Staff page to find contact information for your region.

Clery Notice of Availability