Transfer Students

Quick facts

Who can transfer to Johns Hopkins?

Johns Hopkins welcomes transfer students from two- and four-year colleges and universities into the sophomore and junior classes in the fall semester only. Johns Hopkins University does not accept transfers for the spring, summer, or winter semesters.

How does the transfer selection process work?

Applications for transfer admission are accepted for fall admission only. The final deadline for submitting a transfer application is March 14. In selecting transfer students, the application committee considers a student’s high school record, college GPA and program of study, extracurricular activities, recommendations, and essay responses. We also consider what each student plans to bring to the Johns Hopkins community, and why he or she would like to transfer here. Please note that while you may choose to submit standardized test scores, they are not a required piece of the transfer admission process. All admissions decisions will be released by May 15.

What about interviews?

Due to application volume, interviews are not available for transfer applicants. However, we encourage you to explore Hopkins Interactive or e-mail with any questions you might have about Johns Hopkins.

How many credit hours are necessary to transfer to Johns Hopkins?

To transfer to Hopkins, applicants must have graduated high school and have completed more than 12 semester based credits (either matriculated or not) with a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0. Students who have graduated from high school and enrolled in college but do not have more than 12 credits should apply as freshmen. To receive a bachelor’s degree from Johns Hopkins, a student must carry a full-time academic load at Johns Hopkins for at least four consecutive semesters, not including summer sessions, and must accumulate a minimum of 60 degree credits at Johns Hopkins.

What if I am a high school student currently in a dual-enrollment program?

High school students currently in a dual-enrollment program should apply as freshmen.

What courses do I need to take to transfer to Johns Hopkins?

There are no required courses that students need to take to be eligible for transfer admission to Johns Hopkins. We are not able to provide advising about course selection for potential applicants. For academic guidance and course selection, it is important to work closely with the faculty and staff at your current institution.

How long will it take me to complete my degree at Johns Hopkins?

Degree completion will vary for each individual based on previous major sequencing and readiness for Johns Hopkins programs. Individual consultation regarding expected degree completion plan will be available to students via academic advising after acceptance to the University.

To receive a bachelor’s degree from Johns Hopkins, a student must carry a full-time academic load at Johns Hopkins for at least four consecutive semesters, not including summer sessions, and must accumulate a minimum of 60 degree credits at Johns Hopkins.

What if I want to be pre-health or pre-law?

During your first year, you will be adjusting to the Johns Hopkins academic environment. This can take time and can have an impact on students’ GPAs. As a result, we strongly recommend that junior transfer students wait to apply to health profession schools until after completing their senior year at Johns Hopkins. Pre-law applicants generally apply to law school either during the fall of their senior year or choose to work and then apply at a later date. Once you matriculate, you should schedule an appointment with a pre-professional adviser to discuss your individual situation. For more information about being pre-health or pre-law at Johns Hopkins University, please visit Prospective pre-health transfers should download the Guide for Pre-Health students.

What if I already have a bachelor’s degree?

Individuals already holding a bachelor’s degree are not eligible for admission to Johns Hopkins University as freshman or transfer students. For graduate degree information, visit

What percentage of transfer applicants are accepted each year?

The exact percentage will vary from year to year. In recent years, the transfer acceptance rate has been approximately 10 percent.

What are my chances for transfer admission?

Transfer admission to Johns Hopkins is highly competitive and based on space availability and other factors. A minimum 3.0 cumulative grade point average is required; however, just as is the case for freshman applicants, transfer applicants are evaluated on a holistic set of criteria, including academic success, academic engagement, and ability to contribute to campus life. No minimum SAT or ACT score is required, should you choose to submit those scores.

Transfer Application

What are the application requirements?

See Requirements and Deadlines for a complete list. Transfer students must apply using the Common Application and the Johns Hopkins Supplement to the Common Application. SAT Reasoning Test or ACT scores are optional for transfer applicants.

I have previously applied to Johns Hopkins, do I need to send all new information?

With the exception of official ACT/SAT scores, you must resubmit all new application materials according to the transfer application requirements.

Can a teaching assistant be used in place of a faculty member to write the letter(s) of recommendation?

While the Office of Undergraduate Admissions prefers letters of recommendations to come from faculty members, you may also submit a letter of recommendation from a teaching assistant. Letters of recommendation from a teaching assistant should only be provided if he or she had the primary responsibility of evaluating your performance in a particular class.

What type of financial assistance is available for transfer students?

US citizens, permanent residents, or other eligible noncitizen transfer applicants may apply for financial assistance. More answers to questions about the financial aid process are available through the Office of Student Financial Services.

International Transfer Students

What are the requirements for International transfer students?

The TOEFL requirement is based on the linguistic background of applicants, not citizenship. TOEFL is required of all applicants who have not attended an English language school for the last five years and whose primary language is not English. Applicants who score 670 or higher on the Critical Reading section of the SAT or 30 or more on both the ACT Reading AND English sections do not have to submit TOEFL scores. Students who meet these testing requirements are still encouraged to submit TOEFL scores, as it will often present them in the best light for their language preparation. Non-native English speakers attending English language schools for the last five years are not required to submit a TOEFL score but may do so to supplement their application. IELTS will be accepted from applicants who live in countries where TOEFL is not administered. A score of 7.0 or higher on each band is expected on IELTS.

Johns Hopkins prefers a score of 600 on the written test. The preferred sub-scores for the Internet-based TOEFL (iBT) are 26 (Reading), 26 (Listening), 22 (Writing), and 25 (Speaking) A score of 670 or higher on the Critical Reading section of the SAT Reasoning Test waives the TOEFL requirement for all students.

All international applicants must complete the International Student Certification of Finances form. To submit the form, download the form, print it out, complete it, and mail it to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. This form is required for an international student’s transfer application and therefore must be submitted by the application deadline. Without this form, an international transfer application will be considered incomplete and we will be unable to review it for admission.

After You’ve Been Accepted

How will the credits I have earned at my current school be evaluated?

Credit evaluations are performed by the Office of Academic Advising (Arts & Sciences) or the Office of Academic Affairs (Engineering). Admitted students will get a preliminary credit assessment on their decision release site. To receive credit for courses, students must have earned a grade of C or above in courses comparable in content to those offered at Johns Hopkins. Only courses taken at an accredited college or university are accepted. An academic adviser will finalize credit evaluations for admitted students after they have officially accepted their spot at the university.

Where would I live?

JHU has a two year residency requirement for incoming students. It is the philosophy of the Housing and Residential Life departments that living on campus for the first two academic years provides valuable support and education for college students, beyond the classroom. Visit the Housing website for more information about university housing and living on campus. Entering transfer students who have completed one to three semesters of college are guaranteed and required to live in university housing for one year. Transfer students who have completed two years of college (four semesters) have satisfied their JHU residency requirement and will work with the Off-Campus Housing Office to obtain housing.

Transferring Credits

The basics: If you were accepted as a transfer student, you may assume that at least part of your previously completed college work is eligible to be transferred. We accept credit from many two-year and four-year institutions issuing associate and bachelor’s degrees in the liberal arts, natural and physical sciences, mathematics, and engineering, subject to review of each individual course.

To be eligible for transfer credit, an approved course must be taken for a grade at an approved college and completed with a grade of C or better. Ungraded or pass/fail courses taken prior to matriculation, if approved, may receive credit if the host school states in writing that the mark represents a grade of C or better. Credit for approved courses taken at a community college (an institution that issues primarily two-year degrees) will be transferred only if taken prior to matriculation at Johns Hopkins. A maximum of 6 credits may be granted for courses which are in curriculum areas not covered by the programs of the Johns Hopkins School of Arts and Sciences and the School of Engineering.

Common courses that will not be accepted for transfer credit:

Common courses that will not be accepted for transfer credit Related Information
Physical Education or Personal Health and Wellness Courses We will transfer a maximum of 6 credits in the fields of nutrition, dietetics, or kinesiology if these courses were part of a curriculum leading to a college degree.
College Orientation, Study Skills, or Career Development Courses Courses that are in-depth studies of career paths within a field of study may be considered. Psychology coures in career counseling or learning theory may be accepted.
Math Courses Below the Pre-Calculus Level We do accept most introductory statistics courses. We will accept one course designed to review all necessary background for the study of calculus and to introduce the concept of the rate of change of a function.
Theology Courses We will consider comparative religion courses or other religion courses that study religion from an academic viewpoint.
Developmental English or English as Second Language While we do not transfer developmental English composition or ESL courses, we do typically transfer "freshman composition" courses.
Computer Software Courses Courses that teach some use of software, Internet design and security, basic programming in html or Java, computer aided-design or introduce field-specific software programs may be considered.
Independent Study, Research, or Internship Hybrid courses that include lectures and graded assignments along with practical experiences are reviewed individually.
Trade Skill Courses Courses that are part of an educational program leading to a specific trade such as (but not limited to) automotive repair, culinary arts, day care provider, or airplane pilot are not transferrable.

Do my courses have to match a course taught at Johns Hopkins?

Courses do not have to match a currently existing JHU course; however, courses should cover topics that are broadly defined as part of the curriculum at Hopkins. For example, we do not regularly teach a course about science fiction films. But since this is a film studies course and since we have a major in film and media studies, it’s likely that this course would be eligible for transfer.

Who determines if my credits are transferrable?

The professional advisers in the appropriate Johns Hopkins advising office, in conjunction with faculty, determine which courses are eligible for transfer credit toward the number of credits required for graduation.

How many credits can I transfer?

Transfer students are required to complete 60 credits at Johns Hopkins. Arts and Sciences transfer students are allowed to initially transfer up to 60 credits. Engineering transfer students are allowed to initially transfer a higher number if necessary.

Can I transfer more credits later?

After beginning their studies at JHU, students may transfer up to an additional 12 credits (following the same guidelines as if they had matriculated as a freshman). Please note, however, the student must still complete 60 credits at Johns Hopkins University.

When will I receive an evaluation of my transferrable credits?

Admitted students will receive a preliminary credit assessment with their offer of admission. Once they officially accept their spot in the class and enroll, students will be required to submit course descriptions and, in some cases, syllabi, to the appropriate advising office to begin the official credit evaluation.

Will I receive credits for AP/IB/A-Level tests?

If you have an official score report sent directly from the College Board or other agency, we will award you credit for the exam scores we accept. You can find out more about this on the AP/IB/Other Credit Information page.

Can writing-intensive courses transfer?

As part of the transfer evaluation process, students will be counseled about the process for transferring writing-intensive courses.

Agreements with Other Institutions

The Whiting School of Engineering participates in a program developed by the State of Maryland to ease the process of transferring into computer and electrical engineering programs as a junior. A student who completes two years of study and is awarded a state approved Associate of Science in Engineering (ASE) degree from a Maryland community college will be evaluated for admission to JHU under the standard transfer student process. Admission to JHU is competitive and not guaranteed. For students admitted under this program who pursue either a B.S. in Electrical Engineering or a B.S. in Computer Engineering, JHU will accept the ASE as a block of credits to total at least 60 credits. Both the electrical and computer engineering programs at JHU have a specific “breadth and depth” requirement as part of the broader humanities/social sciences distribution requirements. Courses taken as part of the ASE will not count towards the “depth” component, as it requires that some coursework be completed at the upper-level.