Visiting Student

Undergraduate Exchange Students

Johns Hopkins University has established reciprocal exchange agreements with universities throughout the world. Visit here for more information.

Definition of a Visiting Student

Who qualifies as a visiting student?

A visiting student is:

not enrolled at their own institution during the semester in which they want to attend classes as a visiting student at Johns Hopkins, but wishes to take courses at Homewood for a maximum of two consecutive semesters.*

registered in a full-time program at a high school, college or university (other than Johns Hopkins University) during the normal academic year, excluding summer and is taking courses (maximum two consecutive semesters) or conducting research (paid/unpaid) in one of the KSAS or WSE academic departments (or research centers).

a graduate student who has followed his/her adviser to Hopkins in order to finish his/her degree requirements at a home institution and is conducting research in one of the KSAS or WSE academic departments (or research centers). This student may be eligible to take courses (maximum two consecutive semesters).

* The two semester limit applies only to course work and does not apply to research.

A visiting student is not:

students who are enrolled in a Johns Hopkins University degree or certificate program.

a student who wishes to enroll in Summer and Intersession Programs. This student should visit

a person who is not enrolled at another institution and wishes to do research on the Homewood Campus. This person needs to go through Human Resources (JHUJobs).

someone who wishes to perform unpaid work for no credit.

a high school student, undergraduate student or graduate student in an articulated program (i.e., a program with its own application process). For students who wish to be paid through an articulated program, please refer to the Articulated Programs section of this document.

current high school, undergraduate or graduate student doing non-academic/non-research work in an academic or non-academic unit. This person needs to go through Human Resources (JHUJobs).

someone looking to enroll in any courses required for medical school. This can only be accomplished by being admitted to the Post-Baccalaureate Premedical Program.

a person doing research at someplace other than the Homewood campus or at division of the university that is not KSAS or WSE (ex. Medical School).

Where can I get information on becoming a visiting student in graduate studies?

Visit Visiting student applicants who have already received a bachelor’s degree should refer to this site for graduate admissions information.

I am Johns Hopkins faculty or staff. Can I use my tuition remission benefit?

No. The tuition remission benefit policy states that “payment allowances are for part-time study. Courses must be offered through the continuing education unit of one of Johns Hopkins University’s academic divisions.”

Visiting Student Admissions Process

What are the application deadlines?

Domestic Students
Fall Term: August 15
Spring Term: January 15
International Students
Fall Term: May 1
Spring Term: October 1

What are the admissions criteria for visiting students?

Visiting student applicants must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 from their most recently completed course work. Students who meet this requirement are evaluated based on their academic or professional objectives and the suitability of the visiting student program to meet their goals. Students are informed of their decisions shortly after receipt of their visiting student applications.

Click here to view visiting student policies.

How do I apply?

Download the Visiting Student Application.

Completed applications must be e-mailed to Janice Heitsenrether,, by the deadlines listed above. See the next question for additional application requirements.

All application documents must be provided in English (either the original or translations of the original documents). English translation services are available at World Education Services.

What else is required to apply?

In addition to the completed application, visiting students must submit a $70 nonrefundable application fee as well as:

  • Letter of Invitation/Approval: Any student wishing to enroll in a 300+ level course or planning to do research on university premises must present the appropriate admissions office with a letter (or email) of invitation from the department. The letter must contain the term or duration of the student’s visit, the nature of the research he/she will be doing or the course for which he/she is approved.
  • Transcripts: Applicants must submit official transcripts of all college and university study in sealed envelopes. Applicants should also send a list of current courses and any other courses that will be taken before beginning enrollment at Johns Hopkins that do not appear on their transcripts.
  • Letters of Recommendation: The Undergraduate Admissions Office requires two letters of recommendation. Applicants should ask faculty members to write letters of recommendation for them. The letter of recommendation must have the recommender’s original signature, letterhead, and contact information (email, phone number, address).

Students should be sure to leave adequate time for required documents to reach the Admissions Office.

Can non-U.S. citizens apply to be visiting students?

Students who are citizens of another country can apply to be a visiting student if they are currently enrolled in a college or university. Non-U.S.citizens who are requesting J-1 immigration sponsorship from Johns Hopkins must complete and submit the Statement of Financial Resources (SFR) form with their visiting student application.

Please note that non-U.S. citizens who request J-1 sponsorship from Johns Hopkins must enroll as full-time students; part-time study is not allowed. In order to qualify as full-time, a student must enroll in at least 12 credits of course work or obtain permission from their academic department and the Office of International Student and Scholar Services for fewer credits.

Students who have been speaking English for fewer than five years should submit results of the TOEFL exam with a minimum score of 600 on the written test or a minimum sub-score of 26 (Reading), 26 (Listening), 25 (Speaking), and 22 (Writing) on the Internet-based test (iBT). A certified English translation of any documents not in English should be included with the application. Both the original and the translated document require an original “true certified copy” stamp and/or an original signature from the proper school official.

Though the deadlines for application submission are August 15 for the fall semester and January 15 for the spring semester, it is recommended that non-U.S. citizens who require immigration sponsorship from Johns Hopkins submit all documentation by May 15 for the fall semester and October 15 for the spring semester.

For information on attending Johns Hopkins under the terms of an exchange agreement, click here.

What are the tuition costs for visiting students? Is financial aid available?

Visiting students taking 12 or more credits during a semester pay the same tuition fee as a full-time degree candidate ($21,965 per semester for 2012-2013). Part-time visiting students pay a pro-rated tuition fee ($1,464 per credit hour for 2012-2013). Financial aid is not available for visiting students. Click here for more information about forms of payment accepted by the Office of Student Accounts.

Enrollment Requirements

What are the enrollment requirements for visiting students?

Approved visiting students must submit the following documents:

  • Waiver of Liability Form
  • Proof of Health Insurance: Proof of health insurance must be remitted to the Office of the Registrar’s Insurance Coordinator, located in Garland Hall. Any student without health insurance will be instructed to purchase the Aetna Student Health option.
  • Pre-Entrance Health Requirements: Visiting students are expected to complete official health and immunization forms in paper and through an online format. Instructions for completing the forms can be found by visiting the Health and Wellness Center’s site. Unless these forms are submitted, there will be a registration hold on your ISIS (student information system) account.
  • I-9: The I-9 is document required for employment purposes. Visiting students should consult with their department regarding this form. International students also need to involve OISSS in this process.
  • Statement of Financial Resources: The Statement of Financial Resources (SFR) form is for international visiting students who have been admitted to and are enrolled at the university. It is a form required to generate an I-20 for any student who will be financing his/her own studies. Visiting students must complete the form, as appropriate, with the required signatures, and return it to the university. Any supporting documentation should be attached to the SFR. Please note: The university only accepts the original form; scanned or faxed copies are not acceptable.

How do I register for research and course work?

Once admitted, enrolled visiting students must make an appointment with the Visiting Student Coordinator in the Office of Undergraduate Admissions to register for research and course work. Contact: Janice Heitsenrether,, or (410) 516-6484.

Mailing Address and Contact Information

Where do I send my application materials?

E-mail your completed application to

All transcripts, Statement of Financial Resources forms, and letters of recommendations should be mailed to:

Visiting Student Coordinator
Office of Undergraduate Admissions
Mason Hall/3400 N. Charles St.
Baltimore, MD 21218

Who can I contact with questions?

Janice Heitsenrether, Visiting Student Coordinator
(410) 516-6484