International Students at Johns Hopkins

What makes Johns Hopkins a good place for international students?

Johns Hopkins enjoys a worldwide reputation for excellence in academics. Across the disciplines—from the humanities and social sciences to engineering and the natural sciences—students and professors at Johns Hopkins expand the frontiers of our knowledge and conduct research with a global reach.

Each year undergraduates from all 50 states, Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and about 70 countries make up a campus community that prides itself on its diversity, inclusiveness, and spirit of internationalism. Johns Hopkins is located in Baltimore, Maryland, an exciting port city in the heart of the fast-paced mid-Atlantic region.

The Office of International Student and Scholar Services helps international students navigate the visa process. See Baltimore and Beyond to learn more about Baltimore.

How long is the undergraduate program?

The course of study typically takes four years but sometimes less, depending on your individual curriculum and credit you might receive for high school course work.

How does Johns Hopkins define international applicants?

You are considered an international applicant if you are not a US citizen or permanent resident (Green Card holder). If you are a citizen of another country (and not a US permanent resident) and attend secondary school in the US, you are also considered an international applicant.

What are your intake dates?

Johns Hopkins enrolls both freshman (first-year) and transfer students during August of each year.

What kind of credit is available for IB, AP, and CIE/A-Level courses?

See AP/IB/Other Information for a detailed listing. Please see the CIE website for more information about Cambridge International Examinations, including International A-Levels and Cambridge Pre-U.

Is there a special Orientation program for international students?

Yes. See the Office of International Student and Scholar Services website to learn more.

Applying to Johns Hopkins

What are the application requirements?

See Requirements and Deadlines for a complete list.

Do international applicants have different requirements than U.S. applicants?

There are two additional components to the application for international applicants.

First is the International Student Certification of Finances form including the bank verification. All international applicants are required to submit this form with their application. International students must print out, complete, and mail this form to the following address:

Application Coordinator
Office of Undergraduate Admissions
Johns Hopkins University
Mason Hall / 3400 N. Charles St.
Baltimore, MD 21218

The second requirement for international students is the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) requirement (see below for further details).

What about school documentation and standardized test requirements?

You must submit an official record of academic performance for the equivalent of 9th, 10th, and 11th grades under the U.S system. All official documents must be accompanied by a verified English translation if the original document is not in English.

Include any certificates, diplomas, or examination results marking the completion of secondary education or preparation for higher education (i.e., O- or A-level or IB exam results). If you have exam results to send and are given only one official copy, you must send attested photocopies of the results to us. Your school official or guidance counselor can attest the copies. Notarized copies are not acceptable.

See Standardized Test Information to view a complete list of SAT and ACT requirements.

The TOEFL requirement is based on the linguistic background of applicants, not citizenship. TOEFL is required of all applicants who have not attended an English language school for the last five years and whose primary language is not English. Applicants who score 670 or higher on the Critical Reading section of the SAT or 30 or more on both the ACT Reading AND English sections do not have to submit TOEFL scores. Students who meet these testing requirements are still encouraged to submit TOEFL scores, as it will often present them in the best light for their language preparation. Non-native English speakers attending English language schools for the last five years are not required to submit a TOEFL score but may do so to supplement their application. IELTS will be accepted from applicants who live in countries where TOEFL is not administered. A score of 7.0 or higher on each band is expected on IELTS.

Johns Hopkins prefers a score of 600 on the written test. The preferred sub-scores for the Internet-based TOEFL (iBT) are 26 (Reading), 26 (Listening), 22 (Writing), and 25 (Speaking) A score of 670 or higher on the Critical Reading section of the SAT Reasoning Test waives the TOEFL requirement for all students.

Test results must be sent to us directly from the testing agency. We cannot accept photocopies of test scores.

Financial Aid for International Students

Is financial assistance available for international students?

Both need- and merit-based financial assistance is available for international applicants, although both types of assistance are limited. The admissions process for international students is need-aware, meaning the offer of admission is directly linked to the student’s ability to meet expenses. For more information, visit

How do international students apply for financial aid?

International applicants are instructed to use the College Scholarship Service PROFILE form to apply for need-based financial aid.

The deadline to apply for financial aid is November 15 for Early Decision. The preferred Regular Decision deadline is February 15 (final deadline March 1). Late applications will not be considered. For more information, review the international student financial aid page on the Office of Student Financial Services website.

Can I work while a student at Johns Hopkins?

You may apply for an on-campus job, but you will be limited to working a maximum of 20 hours per week.

Other Resources

Where can I get more information about studying in the United States?

Visit the EducationUSA website to learn more about studying in the U.S. as a foreign student.

Whom can I contact with specific questions related to international admission?

Please visit the Meet the Staff page to find contact information for your region.